Shaking Hands

I had posted the other day about a new twist in my cidp. Severe tremors in my hands. Has anyone found any meds and or treatments to help? Someone had mentioned beta blockers help. If anyone has input or info please let me know. Johnz

I had this during the beginning of my disease, but, thankfully, it went away.

Hope you can find some help here.

There are many medications that can be used for tremors.

Symptomatic drug therapy is available for several forms of tremor. Drug treatment for parkinsonian tremor involves levodopa and/or dopamine-like drugs such as pramipexole and ropinirole. Other drugs used to lessen parkinsonian tremor include amantadine hydrochloride and anticholinergic drugs.

Essential tremor may be treated with propranolol or other beta blockers (such as nadolol) and primidone, an anticonvulsant drug. Clonazepam and primidone may be prescribed for primary orthostatic tremor.

Eliminating tremor "triggers" such as caffeine and other stimulants from the diet is often recommended.

Physical therapy may help to reduce tremor and improve coordination and muscle control for some individuals. A physical therapist will evaluate the individual for tremor positioning, muscle control, muscle strength, and functional skills. Teaching the person to brace the affected limb during the tremor or to hold an affected arm close to the body is sometimes useful in gaining motion control. Coordination and balancing exercises may help some people. Some therapists recommend the use of weights, splints, other adaptive equipment, and special plates and utensils for eating.

For CIDP patients, it is often necessary to use a benzodiazapine (clonazepam, diazepam, etc.), and some improvement should be seen. However, do not expect the tremor to resolve completely.

Also, remember that muscle fatigue can produce tremors. For instance, if you're right-handed, and use a screwdriver for even a simple project, you can expect your poorly innervated muscles (from demyelinization) to fatigue quickly, and this can bring on an exacerbation of tremors in the right hand.

I don't think they willl completely resolve, but with treatment and avoidance of muscle fatigue, should be bearable.

So much to look forward to. Not only are the tremors in the right arm and hand but they effect my head. They even ordered me a high back wheel chair to support my neck when I'm out.

Mayberry,

Unfortunately for some of us, we HAVE to drink caffeine or take caffeine pills to help with Adult Attention Deficit Disorder and OCD. I know, you'd probably think stimulants would be the LAST thing one would take, but it's actually been shown to release dopamine in people with AADD & OCD. Maybe it helps my "micro-tremors" (as my PCM calls them) maybe it doesn't... but for now I have to cross my fingers (when I can) and hope the pshrink and PCM are right.

Mayberry said:

Eliminating tremor "triggers" such as caffeine and other stimulants from the diet is often recommended.

Baclofen and valium work for me.

Big Daddy Qberry said:

Mayberry,

Unfortunately for some of us, we HAVE to drink caffeine or take caffeine pills to help with Adult Attention Deficit Disorder and OCD. I know, you'd probably think stimulants would be the LAST thing one would take, but it's actually been shown to release dopamine in people with AADD & OCD. Maybe it helps my "micro-tremors" (as my PCM calls them) maybe it doesn't... but for now I have to cross my fingers (when I can) and hope the pshrink and PCM are right.

Mayberry said:

I drink the caffiene in morning, sleep a couple of hours in afternoon then drink decaf in evening, and sleep like a baby at night with my cpap. I'll have to talk to Dr. about something for tremors, and see what he says.

Big Daddy Qberry said:

Mayberry,

Mayberry said:

John, I have tremors in my hands, especially in my right hand..and mostly from early afternoon on. I've cut down on diet coke (1 per day). I don't drink anything else with caffeine. I do take 60mgs of Prednisone- I'm sure it doesn't help the tremors and probably contributes. I also take an anti-anxiety/anti-depressant- Zoloft- and I'm pretty sure it contributes to causing the tremors. When I see my primary doc on Thursday, I'll talk to him about this. I need to stay on Prednisone for the CIDP, but maybe he will add another med (just what I need- ha!) and/or take me off the Zoloft.
Wish you well and hope your doc can suggest a med that will help alleviate your tremors. Linda