Otterbock braces?

I am using braces called WalkOn Flex by Otterbock. They are carbon fiber and unlike any other AFOs I have seen. I walk very well in them, in pants you would never know. I have a lot of pain and cramping, but am not sure if it is just from me pushing myself. Wondering if anyone else has these?

I have not heard of these braces but would like to know more; I've been wearing AFO but they are made of plastic and cause legs to chafe in summer especially. Send me a link if you can to check into those.

CM

CM said:

I have not heard of these braces but would like to know more; I've been wearing AFO but they are made of plastic and cause legs to chafe in summer especially. Send me a link if you can to check into those.

CM

I don't have a link. I know they also make artificial limbs, but here is a picture. They are comfotable ( I'm just having feet issues), they go under your insole and nothing but the top band touches your skin. I wall so well people think I'm fine. A good and bad thing. Lol

They now have an article on CMTA about carbon fiber braces. They also weigh less than a pound!

13-IMG_20140629_093456.jpg (251 KB)

Thanks for sharing these; They do look like something I might benefit from! I appreciate that you brought them to my attention.

CM

Before I got them I got them, I was barely getting around with a cane. Now I am able to walk with a normal gait. So well, in fact, that I have been glared at for parking in handicapped spaces. Lol They really have increased my mobility. I had put off getting braces till I had broke both ankles and one wrist from falling, I am greatful I finally did. Have you found any more info?

I've used these and love them but they do rub my legs in summer and I don't have much "meat" on my legs now so kind of irritates the bones if I use them too long and to often. When I first got them though they were so much better and improved over the fast braces received at Mayo Clinic after diagnosis in Oct. 97. They were improvement for me over walking without which is what I'd done for 40 yrs. Didn't even know how easy walking was for the "normal" folk til i got AFO's then I felt graceful and effortless walking in comparison. But Legs tired from the weight. However, til I got my Double Helix brace to compare the first ones, I did not realize how tired I got with the weight of the casted brace. I think the brace from WalkOn Flex by Otterbock might be my next level of improvement. I have the info you sent for hubby to look at and evaluate, but haven't had him look into them yet, as we have been working on other things taking precedence. (sons car had to be repaired and took two days of all day and mos tof the night getting it together) I'll keep you posted as I check into them and try them out.

Thanks CM