Diet Modifications/Essential Oils/Supplements

My husband was diagnosed with GBS 12/27/11. Since then he has put on about 50 pounds, tires quickly, low sex drive, and overall depressed. Does anyone out there have any words of advice? Diet modification? Anyone tried essential oils? Supplements that help? Would love to find out if anyone has had success in improving since their initial illness.

Exercise will not only help, it is essential for his recovery. That's the biggest thing I can suggest. Try to find something that he likes to do, then he'll look forward to doing it, it won't be like drudgery, and his overall mood will improve.

(As was once wisely said by a stand-up comedian, "Diet supplements are the astrology of the vitamin world.")

Have the doctors check his vitamin B level. When I was in the hospital, they gave me a shot of vitamin B daily. I now take a B12 each day. It may be a placebo, but it seems to keep me up and moving.

The best thing your husband can do is keep moving. Walk as much as possible. Carry a pedometer. Try to make today's steps beat those from yesterday.The general rule is 10000 per day for a normal person -- I try for 5000. Most days I fall short but I stay above 3000 and always strive for more.

Thank you for taking the time to write. He has attempted to work out within the past year. He tires quickly from it. I have tried urging him to continue. He wasn't seeing any results in weight loss while he was working out and lost the drive and determination to continue. He keeps saying he will get back to gym and work out again, seems like there is always some excuse why not to go though. I can only continue to encourage. Thanks again. I will share what you wrote with him.

LanceB said:

Exercise will not only help, it is essential for his recovery. That's the biggest thing I can suggest. Try to find something that he likes to do, then he'll look forward to doing it, it won't be like drudgery, and his overall mood will improve.

(As was once wisely said by a stand-up comedian, "Diet supplements are the astrology of the vitamin world.")

When he first got out of hospital we went to neurologist office a few days after his discharge and he was given a script for Vit. B and D to take. Once that first month passed he discontinued. I will encourage him to start taking it again. Thank you so much for writing. I really appreciate your help.

flat rock bob said:

Have the doctors check his vitamin B level. When I was in the hospital, they gave me a shot of vitamin B daily. I now take a B12 each day. It may be a placebo, but it seems to keep me up and moving.

The best thing your husband can do is keep moving. Walk as much as possible. Carry a pedometer. Try to make today's steps beat those from yesterday.The general rule is 10000 per day for a normal person -- I try for 5000. Most days I fall short but I stay above 3000 and always strive for more.

Also, great idea about the pedometer. I will recommend it. :)

kritter said:

When he first got out of hospital we went to neurologist office a few days after his discharge and he was given a script for Vit. B and D to take. Once that first month passed he discontinued. I will encourage him to start taking it again. Thank you so much for writing. I really appreciate your help.

flat rock bob said:

I have not tried this yet, but I’m actually ordering it today. Couldn’t hurt right? http://gabratax.com/background.htmlhttp://gabratax.com/background.html

Correction… Excuse my GBS hands

http://gabratax.com/background.html

Thanks Sami.....let me know how it works out. Thanks for writing. My husband has started exercising again, about 3 weeks ago now, going slow but doing it. :) He has also started using a Dietary Supplement Pack called Long Life Vitality by doTerra. He feels like the combination of the two are beginning to help his ability to feel a bit stronger and better. Praying that the two together will help him in his recovery. Peace.

Sami said:

Correction... Excuse my GBS hands

http://gabratax.com/background.html