Help for insomnia

I am in need of advice to help with insomnia. I go to bed around 10 or 11 each night, I shower each night because it wears me out so bad if I do in the day time. I take 5 meds 2 to 3 hrs before I go to bed because 3 of the 5 are supposed to cause drowsiness, but seems like they do the opposite for me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, have a blessed day, Char

I also have had insomnia for years. I have been on klonopin-2 in pm, neurontin(3 300mg tabbs for pain) and have discoverewd a homeopathic over the counter drug called sleep assist put out by MAGNILIFE and have been able to have much better sounder sleep. I found it at a Rite Aid store and the pharmacist said it should be helpful-it has been. I hope this might help you too. Pumpkin

Hi Char,

2 Benadryl knocks me out and the docs assure me it won't hurt anything. I was always leery of any sleep aids that could be habit forming. You can also get melatonin over the counter at drug stores. It is the same compound your body makes to help you sleep and is also supposed to be safe to use.

good luck.

I agree with Char

2 Benadryl will put me to sleep for hours

My doctor put me on Xanax for my anxiety, I was a mess there for several months, crying all the time and I couldn't function like that. So he added the Xanax. And he also told me to take it at night to enable me to sleep. I don't have trouble falling asleep when I take the Xanax, but it doesn't keep me asleep when my feet feel like they are tangled up in plastic wrap that I can't kick my feet free of. And that wakes me back up sometimes. Another natural herbal to use that is safe and also very effective is called Sleepytime Tea from Celestial Seasons, you can get it at the grocery store, I know they carry it at Walmart, and it does help me relax and sleep too. Be sure to discuss this with your doctor though. I'm sure he wants to make sure you are getting your rest, as this condition tends to tire us out so much. Sleep is important for recouping and regaining strength. Let us know how you are doing, Keep us posted. ~ Sweet Dreams... ~ Sis

Hi Char,

I use Melatonin 5mg about 45 minutes before I want to go to sleep. This is the natural hormone our body produces to help us sleep. My neuro said it was fine and would not interact with any of my medications because it’s something we produce, however I would still check with your Dr just to be safe as we all are different. I hope you get some rest soon! ~Jessie~

Thank you all so much for the input. I do appreciate it. I am drinking the tea before bed (when I remember...lol) and if Im hurting alot I will take a Benedryl if I don't have to get up early the next morning or have a easy day. Im learning to listen to my body after 6yrs. It has taken alot to get thru my thick head but Im finally starting to realize that sleep is the key to reaping the rewards for the next day...feeling a little better.:) Now that my kids are getting older, Im also realizing that I don't have to be SUPERMOM like I used to when they were little. So life is getting a little better in some respects, maybe that will help with sleep also.Thanks again, Have a blessed day!