Help!

I joined this sight to get an insight into CIDP. To find out what others symptoms are, what the IVIG treatment does for it. Do you get hospitalized for treatment or is it done daily on an out patient basis? What does steroid treatment do? My Dr refuses to do anything but IVIG. I have these questions, but nowhere on this sight does it address them. Is there anyone out there that can help me?

Hi Jordon. There is no standard treatment for cidp because everyone's condition is so different. The response to medications is also very individual. It's good your doctor is starting you on ivig. Usually the first 5 doses are done in the hospital to see how you respond. Then maintenance doses are done outpatient or at home depending on your insurance. Most people will respond between 5 days or up to 3 months. Your doctor will probably do some tweeking. They call it an art to find the right meds and right amounts and right intervals to keep cidp at bay. Steroids are used when ivig isn't working or not working fast enough. Sometimes a small amount of steroids are given to boost the ivig.

Thank you for responding. I haven't started treatment yet. It has to be approved by Public Aid. Could be weeks or months. So in the meantime, I have my bad days and my very bad days. I just continue to have more symptoms and my condition continues to worsen. On my very bad days, I'm back to using my walker for support. Now I'm having pain and numbness in my hands and a creepy crawly feeling in my arms. I'm not to see my Dr. until the end of November unless P.A. comes through sooner.

mabes said:

Hi Jordon. There is no standard treatment for cidp because everyone's condition is so different. The response to medications is also very individual. It's good your doctor is starting you on ivig. Usually the first 5 doses are done in the hospital to see how you respond. Then maintenance doses are done outpatient or at home depending on your insurance. Most people will respond between 5 days or up to 3 months. Your doctor will probably do some tweeking. They call it an art to find the right meds and right amounts and right intervals to keep cidp at bay. Steroids are used when ivig isn't working or not working fast enough. Sometimes a small amount of steroids are given to boost the ivig.