Iv Trouble

I had my second treatment of IVIg outside the hospital 2 days ago. It was going really good but towards the end my Iv slipped out of the vein. I must have lost more feeling in my arm than I thought because I didn't notice anything until I went to bend my arm and couldn't. It was twice the size of my other arm. The nurse told me to put heat on it and that usually when this happens it goes down in a day. But it's Still really swollen. After the first day I was able to bend it and today it doesn't hurt to touch. So I'm just wondering if anyone else had their Iv slip out and how long it took for their arm to go back to normal? Thanks in advance!

I had this happen during my December infusion. My nurse had a hard time getting my IV in, ( 6 sticks between 2 nurses ), so I was pretty nervous that my vein might not hold up. I kept having some discomfort, but I thought it was from all the sticks. Finally noticed that I had a large bulge surrounding the IV. I was only about 30 minutes into my infusion, My arm was sore for a few days, and the swelling subsided within a couple of days.No lasting problems though.

Because of the trouble they were having getting my IV in, I had a port installed. My January infusion went smoothly,I did not want to get a port,but it sure beats getting stuck 5 to 6 times per infusion, and veins blowing out. My insurance requires that I use home healthcare infusions. I have had 4 of 6 months, 5 day loading doses. Neuro will evaluate after the 6th month to determine if we continue with IVig. I hope your next infusion goes better. It is stressful enough without going through that kind of complication.

After four months of IVIG, I had a port placed. I am so happy with it. My veins started acting up like you have experienced. I started having blow outs with extensive bruising. Each week of starting the IV was stressful not knowing how many times I would get stuck or blow a vein. I’m set with a solid two year protocol of IVIG so I made the choice to get a port. No regrets. I will say I had a unusual response to anesthesia during the procedure and it resulted in a tough recovery. It wasn’t the port, but just my body’s response to anesthesia. My central nervous system went berserk with my legs kicking furiously. I’ve never had that reaction before and hope to never have it again. But, the port rocks.

Thanks for replying! My arm finally went down but it took over a week! But I'm glad you told me about the Port. My nurse mentioned it but I had never heard of it before only pic lines. I really don't want to have Another procedure but I do want to get all treatments. And after the Iv slipped out we couldn't get another vein because that was my good arm and it was all to swollen. So I got most of the IVIg but not all and That is making me really consider getting the port. Thanks for telling me about your experience with it.

Thanks for replying! Your veins sound like Mine. I don't mind the all the sticks for me it's that we run out of veins to stick. Even with ultrasound there's nothing. And your so right about the anxiousness. I'm guzzling water for days before my infusion in an attempt to do something to help get a vein! Getting a Port sounds more efficient lol! I'm sorry about that reaction you had getting it placed but glad it's working out now. My nurse said some people find painful to get an Iv in the port the first couple of times ......but I don't see how it could be worse than getting stuck 5, 6 times. Even if it did the Peace of mind Knowing I'm going to get the Infusion that Day would make it worth it I think. Thanks for sharing your experience with it!

6 sticks ouch, and I thought my day two nurse was bad with 3 :)

Making lemonade said:

I had this happen during my December infusion. My nurse had a hard time getting my IV in, ( 6 sticks between 2 nurses ), so I was pretty nervous that my vein might not hold up. I kept having some discomfort, but I thought it was from all the sticks. Finally noticed that I had a large bulge surrounding the IV. I was only about 30 minutes into my infusion, My arm was sore for a few days, and the swelling subsided within a couple of days.No lasting problems though.

Because of the trouble they were having getting my IV in, I had a port installed. My January infusion went smoothly,I did not want to get a port,but it sure beats getting stuck 5 to 6 times per infusion, and veins blowing out. My insurance requires that I use home healthcare infusions. I have had 4 of 6 months, 5 day loading doses. Neuro will evaluate after the 6th month to determine if we continue with IVig. I hope your next infusion goes better. It is stressful enough without going through that kind of complication.

+1 on the port. I resisted it for 2 years, then gave in. I am actually on my 2nd port in 6 years. Clogged up my first one and had to have it removed. They put the new one on the other side of my chest. Not sure where the next one is going.

I joke that they now just plug me into the "Matrix".

:D lol!!