Pt 101

Not 109,,,

I have 22 physical therapy sessions scheduled. My therapist looks 17, but is 27 and is Maui beautiful with a smile of pure kindness. And, she likes to touch me... and man, did I HURT after the session on Wednesday! However, I know I'm on the right track and I'll bring her flowers and candy for each session (really). It's my wife's suggestion. I do the same for my infusion nurses and I get a lot of love from them!

Foot drop, ataxia, right hand deformations, sensory deficits and progressive weakness. And yet I swim like a fish

Is there anything you recommend of advise against regarding CIDP/PT? I hesitate to pursue cervical PT as I have a past surfing and sports neck injuries.

Thanks!

I am curious as well I had to hold off on pt for two knee surgeries and one rotator cuff surgery because the 1.5 hr pt wiped me out the following day . It was exhaustion

I would encourage everyone with CIDP to seek PT. Exhaustion. pain, no... the "pain is gain" philosophy, is b.s., as that pain is only muscle fibers being used as they should be. Regulated PT, exercise, will build surrounding muscles to support muscles that are weakened by PN, DM, CIDP, etc.

CIDP is a root nerve to muscles problem first and foremost. Many times I have tossed off severe CIDP pain and stiffness by pushing past it with determined exercise. I venture to guess that by exercise I delayed my full CIDP onslaught by 10 years.

Three days after my PT session my core muscles (those muscles from belly button to anus that many people ignore and consequently accumulate rolls of flab and fat).. core muscle, after they recovered they then lifted my hips and legs to full extensions with ease. I had better,stronger urine voids and bowel movements without having to strain. My GI thanked me!

I'm convinced that we as humans have not evolved completely when it comes to our bipedal stature. CIDP usually starts in those long leg nerves, up to the cauda equine, to the lumbar and then comes those flare ups, those horrible lower back pains. In other words, the lower body pain and its dysfunction renders us back to the quadrupedal state where we want to crawl around on our hands and knees.... or into that wheelchair. PT may help a dedicated person avoid the walker, the wheelchair, that bed-bound state.

My PT is a blessing, as over the past 18 months I have lowered my exercise expectations, lessened the amount of physical activity out of fear or falling or thinking it would be too painful or I succumbed to a state of resignation and depression.

For the muscles to work, one has to work them. The nerves will slowly catch on and help you, they may grow back slowly, be in less pain. I could go on and on... I sincerely wish everyone here happy and useful muscles!

Robert Martin said:

I am curious as well I had to hold off on pt for two knee surgeries and one rotator cuff surgery because the 1.5 hr pt wiped me out the following day . It was exhaustion

Yeah, we nurses LOVE chocolate...lol. I did PT for 10 years, but had to quit because it was causing me more pain and inflammation than relief, but I wish you the best with it! :)

I agree with Estaban.

Once I got diagnosis and started effective treatment, (in my case, plasma exchanges and steroids),
physical and occupational therapy and exercise brought me back.
Paralysis and muscular atrophy had made my muscles disappear. They thought I would be going from the hospital into a skilled nursing facility for at least a year, but I worked harder in my daily sessions than at anything I’d ever done. I pushed myself hard and they kept giving me more.

Muscular strength does not increase by magic.For us, it takes more intensely hard work,great nutrition , and even more rest, but it does help.

I should add that I did not need to go into a skilled nursing facility. I came home in a wheelchair. Now I use it for a computer chair, and I put my walker in the car when I pick up an elderly friend who needs it.
Life aint perfect, but it’s good to be alive.

I am thankful to be alive. I am thankful to be improving. The work and effort on the part of my family not to mention myself. It is so demanding.

Good to be alive and healthy and able to get around with muscle confidence. Thanks Jeff!

Jeff said:

I should add that I did not need to go into a skilled nursing facility. I came home in a wheelchair. Now I use it for a computer chair, and I put my walker in the car when I pick up an elderly friend who needs it.
Life aint perfect, but it's good to be alive.