Would like to post this to everyone with CMT

Hi I was diagnosed with CMT in 1974. I had surgery done on my foot to lower the arch as I was having a lot of pain in my feet when I walked. The surgery was to lower my arch so I would walk properly on my foot. I was told if I did one foot I would have to do the other one as well. With a lot of pain with the healing process the pain continued. So needless to say I never had to other foot done. I was sent to Chedoke hospital in Hamilton and was then Diagnosed with CMT. I was unable to walk very far so it was suggedted that I used a scooter to get around. This was extremely helpful as I was a single parent of three kids 2,5 & 8, I walked with a cane and managed in my home for along time. I worked for several years as a swichboard operator but found that at age 55 I was just too tired to cope with a partime job and went out on disability. My childred are grown now and my older daughter lives with me and I have homemakers come in 6 hours a week to bathe me and help with housework and meals. I use a power chair in the house, my scooter outside and drive my own van with hand controls. I am still abel to walk short distances with a walker but fine I put a lot of weight on my back so am in constant back pain. I keep busy with Church, disability groups and I do a lot of reading. I was recently diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease so I tire very easily.

Do AFOs help with pain and balance? Is there anything to take for the pain other than over the counter drugs.

Rocky I noticed on your blog that you live in Waterloo Ontario and was also diagmosed at Chedoke Hospital in Hamilton. I was wondering if we could meet one another or just talk on the phone to see how each one of us was coping with CMT.

Welcome to all the new members

Gwen