CIDP and GBS

Hello all, does GBS always come before CIDP?

Simple answer - Yes and No and there is little point getting worried about which is which.

Many regard CIDP as the chronic form of GBS but you also need to realise that there are a great number of varieties of peripheral neuropathy where GBS is considered the short term generic name and CIDP the long term generic name and where that crossover happens depends on the criteria used. It may also depend on when the diagnosis is made and how quickly the condition develops. Fast development is usually considered to be GBS - but if it continues it becomes CIDP. Slow development is usually a CIDP indication and would seldom get called GBS, usually because by the time it is diagnosed it has been too slow and long term to get that name.

If the condition goes away (no matter how fast it developed) then it was probably GBS - but not necessarily.

Bottom line - No - GBS does not always become CIDP, but Yes, GBS can become CIDP and good luck figuring that out!

Can CIDP sometimes go into remission without treatment like GBS?

No, I have never had the acute form (GBS).

Glen

Thank you, Yes you did send me the booklets but I cant find them.The home help lady that I used to have must have thrown them out.I am going to find a new GP, mine left suddenly and they assigned me a doctor? who is still learning. (I forgot what he is called) So far he has messed me up with my tablets and when I asked him if he has read up on CIDP and Ataxia, He said there was no cure there was no need to.rgds Shirl

mdolich said:

I can't add much more then what Michael Stark has already said. I was first GBS then two years after having GBS I was re-diagnosed CIDP due to relapses. My GBS was what they call "Sudden Onset". I turned off the TV one night and went to bed just fine. Woke up the next morning paralyzed from the waist down. Was rushed to the hospital and put ICU. Within 48 hours I was paralyzed from the neck down, comatose, and on a ventilator. Not everyone diagnosed GBS has sudden onset like I did. Many people who come down with GBS develop it over a couple of weeks. CIDP develops much slower, usually over a period of months.

As far as your question goes: I would have to say "No, GBS does not always come before CIDP". Not all people with CIDP have had GBS prior to being diagnosed CIDP. CIDP is a slow progression where GBS is a fast progression. Most people with GBS do fully recover, they may have some residual tingling or numbness, but for the most part do fully recover. Then there are some (like me) that end up having a relapse, and then are re-diagnosed CIDP and have to get treatment of some sort. I get IVIG every three weeks and have ever since I was re-diagnosed CIDP back in 2006. Just recently (Feb 2015), I was put on Imuran to see if we could space my infusions out further. I had a reaction to the Imuran so my neurologist switched me to Cellcept. Now I go every six weeks for and infusion.

Like Michael said, CIDP is considered by many neurologists as the Chronic form/cousin of GBS. I believe I sent you information on GBS/CIDP. I always try and tell everyone to get both booklets (GBS and CIDP) from the "GBS/CIDP Foundation International" and read them both, because the two diseases kind of go hand-in-hand.

Hope this helps. I will put this out to the rest of the members for more feedback.

Good Luck, "Stay Strong and keep a Positive Attitude"

Thank you, I understand now. Shirl

Michael C Stark said:

Simple answer - Yes and No and there is little point getting worried about which is which.

Many regard CIDP as the chronic form of GBS but you also need to realise that there are a great number of varieties of peripheral neuropathy where GBS is considered the short term generic name and CIDP the long term generic name and where that crossover happens depends on the criteria used. It may also depend on when the diagnosis is made and how quickly the condition develops. Fast development is usually considered to be GBS - but if it continues it becomes CIDP. Slow development is usually a CIDP indication and would seldom get called GBS, usually because by the time it is diagnosed it has been too slow and long term to get that name.

If the condition goes away (no matter how fast it developed) then it was probably GBS - but not necessarily.

Bottom line - No - GBS does not always become CIDP, but Yes, GBS can become CIDP and good luck figuring that out!

I woke up and started having pain in my feet, like my shoes were to tight. I fell several times. The spinal showed high protein. I vig for a week.could walk a little and hands didn’t work. Instead of getting betting I got worse. Another spinal with ex ray machine and more fluid taken out. It showed higher proteins than before
I was that diagnosed with cidp .

When I first was diagnosed with CIDP it started in my feet and quickly spread to my hands face and from my feet to my knees. So we started IVIG I did that for one week a month 5 days it slowed down but never got better. My Nero said we should stop and watch it I get EMG every other month. I wander if anyone gets the twitching I know when I have done to much for that day the twitching go’s crazy then the pain is so bad I could cry they do not make medication to stop the pain and for get sleeping I never believed in marijuana but if they could make one that would help me I would use it even with the smell. They say they can only treat the symptoms there is no cure we have to live with it. So if it would help me have better Quality of life I would use marijuana.

Hello Joy, in 1971 or72 I was diagnosed Spinocerebellar Degeneration.. I was referred to a Neuro because I was getting painful pins and needles in the back of my legs and numb feet.After 30 odd years and a few nerve conductions, and a week in hospital having tests they said I have cidp.Then another week stay getting Ivig ( intergram P ) for 5 days then once a month for 5 months.When next time I saw the neuro he said there was nothing he could he could do and more or less said "there's the door and shut it after you.".I am now under another Neuro in a different hospital. so I'll see what he saýs. My next app is in December. Shirl
joy said:

I woke up and started having pain in my feet, like my shoes were to tight. I fell several times. The spinal showed high protein. I vig for a week.could walk a little and hands didn't work. Instead of getting betting I got worse. Another spinal with ex ray machine and more fluid taken out. It showed higher proteins than before
I was that diagnosed with cidp .

Hello Alan, I gave up cigarettes 15 yrs ago,I don't like the smell of marijuana smoke (it makes me cough and feel sick)

I was told it can be cooked in a cookie. I might try that.It might help my legs. Shirl

Alan Beamer said:

When I first was diagnosed with CIDP it started in my feet and quickly spread to my hands face and from my feet to my knees. So we started IVIG I did that for one week a month 5 days it slowed down but never got better. My Nero said we should stop and watch it I get EMG every other month. I wander if anyone gets the twitching I know when I have done to much for that day the twitching go's crazy then the pain is so bad I could cry they do not make medication to stop the pain and for get sleeping I never believed in marijuana but if they could make one that would help me I would use it even with the smell. They say they can only treat the symptoms there is no cure we have to live with it. So if it would help me have better Quality of life I would use marijuana.

Hi,I have got a new neuro, it's a new GP that I need.I am on 30mg Oxycotin They don't help much. I'm also taking 2 mg prednisone for heart failure. Thats it. Shirl

mdolich said:

If I was you Shirl, I'd look for a new neurologist who has dealt with GBS/CIDP. Are you on any type of treatments @ IVIG, Plasmapheresis (plasma exchange), Prednisone, etc...??

You can have the GBS/CIDP Foundation International send you another set of the booklets. I lost a set when I moved once and they were glad to send me the booklets again.