Prednisone and insulin dependent diabetic

Reassessed after 6 months IVIG. Started on very very high dose of prednisone and continues with IG but he is an insulin dependent diabetic and is very stressed about BS increasing And poor insulin control. Can anyone fill us in on what to expect.

FYI, I've had type 1 diabetes for more than 48 years. About eight years ago I took prednisone for about one year to control an autoimmune disease (immune thrombocytopenia purpura) which was causing excessive bleeding and bruising. (I was already getting IVIG at that time.) I needed to take more than twice as much insulin after starting prednisone. I thought that I would need less insulin when I was being weaned off prednisone, but my increased need for insulin seems to have been permanent. One thing that helped me keep my blood sugars under reasonable control was that I have been on a low carb diet. I'm not sure that my experience is relevant to your situation. My dose of prednisone was relatively low and my endocrinologist is comfortable with my using a low carb approach.

Thank you Jon, He has decreased his insulin significantly since diagnoses and eliminated diabeta. He is on Metformin and 12 u of nph at bed. I was thinking diet should be low carb and will start to check it out. My hope is it reduces his pain as well as returns some ability to stand and walk. I appreciate you replying. Marg