Traveling abroad

I'm planning on traveling to the Philippines next year and was concerned about the vaccination shots I will need to get. Was wondering if any of you traveled post-GBS and if you took any shots. My doctor told me that he didn't want me to take any flu shots. I know the influenza shot is one of the shots I needed to take to travel. Tetanus shot is another.

I have not, but I did ask my neurologist this question. She said that if she was me she would get vaccinated when traveling. She said it is unlikely for someone to get GBS again (though we do see it) and that traveling and contracting an illness is just as likely, if not more, of a risk for triggering GBS. The way I understand it, is that if you truly have GBS, not CIDP, your risk of getting it again is close to any other person that has never had it. It’s a scary thought, but we all need to make these decisions for ourselves because nobody can tell you what will happen.

I had a Tetanus shot before all of this but it's not confirmed that it was started by it and I've never been officially diagnosed. They think I may have had a mild case of GBS but it didn't feel too mild. I don't know if it makes a difference but I was supposed to get the Td booster but all they had was Tdap. They told me there was some other variation of the Tetanus shot that I could get when I need the shot next time. What triggered your GBS?

http://patients.aan.com/resources/neurologynow/?event=home.articlePDF&id=ovid.com:/bib/ovftdb/01222928-201006010-00025

My case was triggered by a tetanus/diptheria/pertusis shot, and I will never get another vaccination shot. Any virus, live or dead, is a potential trigger, and I'm not willing to take the chance. That means not travelling to countries where vaccinations are required, but at this stage of my life, I can live with that.

I do not advocate against vaccinations, by the way. They do more good than harm, and I was just one of the unlucky few who pulled the short straw.

Thanks Kimberly for the link. I’ve been diagnosed w/CIDP, and struggle with whether or not to get flu and/or pneumonia shots. My neurologist says it’s “probably” ok, and my GP agrees, so I plan to this fall.

With GBS you are not suppose to get either one of those vaccinations. I personally would not take the risk.

I have looked into getting different shots for travelling. I decided against it. Too scary for me. Good luck